The PWD (Persons with Disabilities) Card is an important identity proof and entitlement document issued by the Government of India to citizens living with specified disabilities. Having a PWD card makes you eligible for various benefits, concessions, welfare schemes, and assistance programs.
Therefore, all individuals with disabilities must apply for this card to avail several facilities that can make daily life easier. This comprehensive guide will explain the detailed procedure for applying for a new PWD card or renewing an existing card in India.
Who is Eligible to Apply for a PWD Card?
To be eligible for a PWD card, the applicant must fulfill the following criteria:
- Must be a citizen of India
- Can be of any age and gender
- Must have a permanent disability of over 40% as classified under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016
- Disability must cause limitations in everyday activities
- Must possess a valid disability certificate issued by a designated medical authority
The various disability categories include visual impairment, hearing impairment, locomotor disability, mental behavioral issues, chronic neurological conditions, blood disorders, multiple disabilities, and more. The extent of disability is assessed by a medical board. In case, if you are not eligible for the PWD card then you can look for other benefits like the Indira Gandhi pension yojana through which disabled people can avail of great benefits.
List of Documents Required for PWD Card Application
When applying for a new PWD card, you need to submit the following mandatory documents:
- Proof of identity and residence like Aadhaar, PAN Card, Voter ID, Passport etc.
- Two recent passport-size photographs
- Disability assessment certificate issued by the medical board
- Relevant medical reports, records, and diagnosis reports
- Age-proof documents (birth certificate, 10th certificate, etc.)
- An income certificate from a competent authority if applying for a pension or grants
- Existing PWD card number (for renewal applications)
All documents must be self-attested. Specific states may have additional requirements so do check for any other documents needed.
Where to Submit the Application for a PWD Card?
The completed PWD card application needs to be submitted to the District Disability Rehabilitation Centre (DDRC) under the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities. Some states also allow applying through online portals of the state disability welfare departments.
PWD Card Application Form Details
The standard PWD card application form requires the applicant to provide this information:
- Personal details (name, date of birth, gender, address, marital status etc.)
- Details of disability (type, percentage, duration)
- Details of the certifying medical authority
- Relevant medical records, diagnosis reports, disability certificate
- Recent passport-size photographs
- Signature/thumb impression of the applicant
- Address and contact details of the applicant
All sections must be filled in carefully and accurately to avoid any errors or delays in processing. The disability certificate is the most important document.
Step-by-Step Procedure for Applying for a PWD Card
Follow these steps to ensure smooth application for a new PWD card:
Step 1: Obtain a Disability Certificate
Get your disability assessed at a government-designated hospital and obtain a disability certificate indicating the type and percentage of disability. This is mandatory.
Step 2: Acquire the PWD Card Application Form
Obtain the application form at the nearest DDRC office or download and print it from state government disability website.
Step 3: Fill out the PWD Card Application Form
Fill out all sections of the form providing personal details, disability details, photographs, and relevant documents like an Aadhar card. You can login to the UIDAI portal to get your Aadhar card if you don’t have it. Take care to avoid any mistakes.
Step 4: Submit the Completed Application at DDRC
Submit the filled application form along with supporting documents and application fees (if applicable) at the DDRC or online portal. Keep a copy.
Step 5: Verification Process
The DDRC will verify all documents submitted and may call the applicant later for medical examination or additional documents if required.
Step 6: PWD Card Issuance on Approval
On approval, the PWD card bearing the applicant’s name, photograph, and unique disability ID number will be printed and issued.
Step 7: Collecting the PWD Card
You can collect the printed PWD card from the DDRC office by providing your acknowledgment slip and ID proof.
The entire process from submitting the application to getting the PWD card may take 30-60 days depending on the state. Promptly respond if the DDRC requires additional information.
Process for Renewal of Existing PWD Cards
- PWD cards are valid for 5 years from the date of issue.
- The renewal application process is similar but requires less processing time.
- Apply for renewal at the DDRC around 3 months before your PWD card expiry date.
- Fill out the renewal application form and attach an updated disability certificate.
- Submit your renewal application along with the existing PWD card.
- If approved, your card will be renewed for 5 more years.
Usage of the PWD Card
Once issued, the PWD card enables you to avail several benefits offered by the government such as:
- Disability pension schemes
- Concession on travel tickets
- Quota in educational institutions
- Assistance for medical treatment
- Special employment opportunities
- Income tax exemptions
- Discounted utility bills
- Legal rights protection
The PWD card is a very useful identity document that proves your disability status and enables access to many welfare schemes. All persons with over 40% disability are eligible to apply by following the step-by-step application procedure.
Make sure you get a proper disability assessment done and submit the certificate along with other documents to the DDRC. This will facilitate quick approval and issuance of your PWD card or timely renewal without any hassles. Possessing this card can make daily living much easier for the disabled.