This Year budget has given special priority to the energy sector. The Special Priority on Energy Sector on Nepal Budget 2020/2021 will boost the hydropower and alternative power in the coming year.
Different goal has been set to complete ongoing hydropower projects. Major highlights of the budget on energy sector are as follows :
- About 1,300-MW electricity will be added to the national power grid of the country within the next fiscal year.
- accomplish the construction of Upper Tamakoshi, Rasuwagadhi, Sanjen, and Madhyabhotekoshi hydropower projects in the upcoming fiscal.
- The 456-MW Upper Tamakoshi project has already 99.5 percent progress in terms of physical development.
- The 111-MW capacity Rasuwagadhi hydropower project is also making speedy progress.
- The upper Sanjen (14.8-MW), lower Sanjen (42.5-MW), Madhyabhotekoshi (102-MW) are also progressing in a way to get completed in the upcoming fiscal year.
- The lockdown enforced by the government to stem the COVID-19 has deferred the progress in the construction of the projects.
- According to the budget speech, the government has laid emphasis on the construction of hydropower projects with reservoir and semi-reservoir for energy mixture and security.
- Meanwhile, the government has allocated a budget of Rs 4.13 billion for the promotion of alternative energy.