Greater Nepal is the concept of real and united Nepal before the Sugauli treaty which is the current Nepal extending the border from Sikkim-Jalpaiguri in the east and goes up to Sutlej in the west. When compared to the current area of Nepal, it is 60 percent more.
Here we present the pointe and brief history of Greater Nepal which are pointed as below with the war history of unification king Prithivi Narayan Shah
|History of the Greater Nepal with Dates|
Let’s Know History of the Greater Nepal with Dates
History of uniting the Greater Nepal with Dates
- · 1799 BS. [1743 AD] – Prithivi Narayan Shah becomes the King of Gorkha
- · 1800 BS. [1744 AD]– Nuwakot attacked and started the unification of Nepal
- · 1819 BS. [1763 AD]– Annexed Makwanpur
- · 1823 BS. [1766 AD]– Annexed Kirtipur
- · 1825 BS. [1768 AD]– Annexed Kantipur and Lalitpur
- · 1826 BS. [1769 AD]– Annexed Bhaktapur then Kathmandu become capital of Nepal
- · 1830 BS. [1774 AD]– Annexed Chaudandi
- · 1831 BS. [1775 AD]– Annexed Bijayapur
- · 1831 BS. [1775 AD]– Prithivi Narayan Shah Died and his eldest son Pratap Sing Shah become the king
- · 1831 BS.- 1834 BS [1775 AD – 1777 AD] – Pratap Sing Shah annexed Chitwan to Nepal
- · 1834 BS. [1777 AD] – Pratap Shah died and minor Rana Bahadur Shah becomes the king and Queen Mother Rajendra Lakshmi took the state power in her hand and started the unification
- · 1834 BS. – 1842 BS. [1777 AD – 1785 AD]– Annexed Lamjung, Tanahun, and Kaski [24 Principalities / Chaubise rajya]
- · 1842 BS. [1785 AD] – Rajendra Laxmi died and Bahadur Shah youngest son of Prithivi Narayan Shah started to rule again on behalf of Rana Bahadur Shah and started unification
- · 1842 BS. – 1844 BS.[1785 AD – 1787 AD] – Bahadur Shah won up to Tista river and extend the border of greater Nepal to Tista river east
- won ’24 principalities’ in west
- · 1844 BS. -1847 BS. [1787 AD – 1790 AD]– He won ’22 Principalities’, Karnali region conquering Jumla, Doti state and extended west border to Mahakali river
- · 1847 BS. [1790 AD] – won Kumaon
- · 1848 BS. [1791 AD] – won Gadhwal
- “After this there was Nepal-Tibet war,Then the unification of Kumon and Gadhwal was stopped . Again After the death of Bahadur Shah Prime minister of Nepal Bhimsen Thapa and Commander, Amar Singh Thapa led the unification campaign of greater Nepal “
- · 1861 BS. [1804 AD] – Annexed Kumaon and Gadhwal and border reached up to Jamuna river in west
- Unification initiated by Prithvi Narayan Shah at 1799 BS. was lead by Kaji Amar Singh Thapa at 1863 BS. Nepal during 1863 BS. is actual greater Nepal.
- · 1871 BS. [1814 AD]– East India Company started a war with Greater Nepal. East India Company attacked Nepal from five points (Sutulj, Dehradoon, Butwal, Birjung, Morang).
- · 1871 BS. – 1872 BS. [1814 AD – 1816AD]– the war between East India Company and Nepal. Nepal lost at two points and won at three points.
- · 1872 BS. [1816AD] – Sugauli Treaty was initiated between Nepal and East India Company
- · 1914 BS.[1857AD] – East India company gave back some land in the Terai region and Sugauli Treaty was concluded in Makwanpur
- · 1917 BS. [1860AD] – East India Company gave more land to Nepal in western Terai
After the Sugauli Treaty with British in India and getting back territories in two installments, current Nepal was formed.