Tuesday, June 18, 2024
HomeVisa BlogsAustralia's Top 4 Student Visa Choices: An Overview

Australia’s Top 4 Student Visa Choices: An Overview

International students have a great chance to take advantage of these opportunities to get relevant job experience through these student visas. Read our blog to know more.

Various students from foreign nations visit Australia to obtain advantages from the advanced education system and experience the lifestyle of Australia. Excellent English language schools, top-notch universities, and technical colleges are available in Australia to accommodate students from overseas.

You need a student visa to enroll in an Australian university or college when you are an Australian citizen. Anyone planning to study in Australia should prioritize getting this sorted, so before you apply for a university spot, educate yourself on the application procedure, eligibility requirements, costs, and study permit regulations.

However, you also have several other choices, including temporary graduate visas and visas for skilled migration. You must hire a migration agent or immigration consultant to know more about these options.

Student Visa Choices Available for International Students

In Australia, various student visa categories change according to the course of study, the post-study work permit, the applicant’s residence, and employment status. There are specifics about the Temporary category 485 and 500 visas. Let us discuss these visas in detail.

1. Student visa subclass 500

International students must hold an Australian visa subclass 500 to enroll in either a lengthy degree programme or a brief diploma programme. Candidates must apply for Subclass 500 of all Visa classes to pursue higher education.

With a student visa (subclass 500), you can stay in Australia for up to five years as long as you are enrolled in full-time school.

This visa enables you to:

  • Participate in a qualifying course of study
  • Include your partner or you and your partner’s dependent child as family members in your application.
  • Apply online from within or outside of Australia.
  • Once your course begins, you may work up to 48 hours every two weeks.

To obtain a student visa 500, an applicant must comply with the eligibility standards:

The applicants must be at least six years old. 

  • A recognized institution must have you enrolled in a programme of study. You must offer evidence in support of the same.
  • Requirement for Genuine Temporary Entrants (GTE)
  • You must meet the requirements for English proficiency exams like IELTS, etc.
  • Your financial ability to support your education is a must.
  • Prerequisites for character and health
  • He must have sufficient health insurance.

2. Temporary graduate visa subclass 485

International students who have completed two years of study in Australia are qualified for the Temporary Graduate visa 485, which is a work visa. Based on your circumstances, it may last from 18 months to four years.

It is a fantastic approach to increase your probability of being accepted for a permanent or temporary skilled visa while you are in Australia. The primary applicant for a visa subclass 485 must be physically present in Australia at the time of application and must have had a valid student visa for six months before the submission.

Applying for this visa subclass 485 is possible if you:

  • Are under 50 years of age and at least 18 years old;
  • Choose a profession from the list of skilled professionals that qualify for a 485 visa;
  • Have been determined to be suitable for your chosen occupation by a pertinent assessing authority;
  • Possess the necessary proficiency in English;
  • Possess a degree, diploma, or trade qualification in a field substantially connected to the skilled career you have chosen and
  • Have completed at least 92 weeks of CRICOS-registered courses to satisfy the Australian Study Requirement in the previous six months.

3. Skilled independent visa subclass 189

A permanent residency permit, the Skilled Independent Visa, is available to people who do not require sponsorship from an employer, a family member, or a State or Territory Government but who have the qualifications and experience to meet Australia’s skill gaps.

You must submit an online Expression of Interest (EOI) before receiving an invitation to apply for this skilled migration visa.

You must be able to meet the fundamental conditions for a visa once you have been invited to apply to be eligible for one under the General Skilled Migration programme.

You must:

  • Have proposed a profession with a skill level that qualifies for this subclass of visa;
  • Possess an appropriate assessment of their skills in the suggested skilled vocation;
  • Being at least 18 years old and not older than 45;
  • Possess a basic command of the English language;
  • Attain the minimum 65-point passing score on the points test;
  • Meet specific standards for character and health.

4. Skilled regional visa subclass 489

This visa is intended exclusively for skilled individuals who want to live and work in Australia. You can also get along with your family thanks to it. You can apply for a Skilled Regional (Permanent) visa – Subclass 887 if you have this visa.

Three entry points are available with the subclass 489 visa: the Invited entry point, the Extended stay entry point, and the Subsequent entry point.

The following are the eligibility standards:

  • To apply for this visa, you need to have the invitation.
  • You must be younger than 45.
  • You should pass the points exam.
  • You need to be sponsored by an eligible relative or acquire a nomination from one of the Australian states or territories.


Australia is a prevalent destination for overseas students because of its top-notch educational system, welcoming society, and fantastic employment and lifestyle options. International students in Australia can pursue full-time and part-time jobs while in school, which can help them obtain valuable work experience while sustaining themselves financially.

Once they have finished their education, International students also have various post-study visa options. International students have a great chance to take advantage of these opportunities to get relevant job experience and may move to permanent residence. However, some international students are qualified for more expedient and direct routes to permanent residence.

Top Recents is Regular Blogger with many types of blog with owe own blog as toprecents.com


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Posts

Most Popular Posts