Explore the essential insights for aspiring childcare workers. This blog unveils 5 crucial aspects every future professional should know.
Do you enjoy working with children? Yes? Then A job in child care might be the best career for you. Children’s first years are very important as they grow in skills, senses, social interactions, and world knowledge. Moreover, completing your childcare course in Australia is ideal as the country provides government funded early childhood education for those who aspire to work in this sector.
When parents are unable to care for their young children, childcare providers, who are also known as daycare workers, offer childcare services, typically during business hours. They support kids with everyday routines, social and academic growth, and play and activities that promote healthy development. In addition to private homes, they can work in nurseries, creches, family daycare centres, and after-school programs.
The duties of a normal childcare provider are as follows:
- Taking care of toddlers and early children and meeting their basic needs
- Organizing and carrying out educational programs for early learning
- arranging sports and leisure time pursuits
- Cooking meals and snacks.
- Keeping an eye on children’s hygiene
- Promoting social skills by mediating social interactions
- Assuming legal accountability for the well-being and security of children
- Watching children while they use play equipment
Skills required to become a childcare worker:
- Communication abilities verbally
- Organizing and managing tasks
- Concern for children
- Decision-making and critical thinking
- Patience and compassion
- Observing and assessing kids
- Ability to solve problems
- Strength and endurance
- Knowledge of the childcare code of ethics
To start your career in childcare, you can pursue a Diploma in Childcare or cert 3 early childhood education and care.
Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care is among the best college courses in Australia for childcare workers to take. It will teach you about child development, their safety, ensuring they get good food nutrition, and learning through playing games based on what helps kids learn better.
The Diploma for Teaching and Care in Preschool Education.
Do you want to study more in the childcare field? Next, for anyone wanting to move forward in their childcare job, is a Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care. In this class, you’ll learn the important skills to be a lead teacher. You will manage and supervise other staff members, too. This means making and running learning programs for kids as well as watching the day-to-day actions of a place where they stay during the day.
Work in childcare
You can work as a nanny privately for in-home care outside official childcare facilities, sometimes with just a few children to look after. You might eventually be able to operate your own family daycare or out of your house.
Working in childcare will also require you to put in unpredictable hours. Childcare centres typically require shift workers because they need individuals to watch kids before and after school hours.
Employment in childcare
Workers in childcare are employed in a variety of settings, such as:
- Child care facilities
- Offices in Schools Hospitals
- After-school hours care
- Early childhood education
- Early education facilities and crèches
Before beginning your career, you will typically need to obtain the following checks:
- Police investigation: Depending on where you’re looking for work, you might also need to register with the Department of Human Services.
- Acquire qualification: Your degree enables you to advance into more senior roles or work in various environments. The ability to stack qualifications allows you to begin with a Certificate III and add more training later.
- Finish the 120-hour work placement program: In Australia, completing a work placement is a requirement for all nationally recognized childcare qualifications. You must finish at least 120 hours to obtain the Certificate III. Making contacts at this time is a great chance that frequently results in your first job after graduation.
- Obtain your first-aid certification: Getting your First Aid certificate (which includes CPR, anaphylaxis, and asthma awareness training) is usually not obligatory, but it could be a good idea.
As such, the presence of at least one trained employee or supervisor with these qualifications is required according to the stipulations by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA). This is required to make staff scheduling easier; employers are more likely to hire you if you have them.
Did you know over 150,000 Australians work in the large childcare sector? It has experienced remarkable growth over the past five years. This can be credited to Australia’s expanding population and the growing number of working parents.
With slightly more than half of employees working part-time, this is a career with flexible work schedules. Therefore, you can either become a children’s services professional or a casual childcare giver.
In Australia, the biggest part of people working in child care is employed by New South Wales (32. 2 %), with Victoria coming second at 26.7% and Queensland thirdly accounting for a total percentage share of about 9.5%.
Most childcare providers are hourly employees, making an average of $30.82 per hour.
On average, a full-time childcare worker makes $60,091, ranging from $51,612 to $81,050. When people move into more senior roles, their pay increases significantly with experience and higher qualifications. Since credentials stack, you can begin with a Cert 3 childcare and add more training later.
So, if you want to know which college in Australia to go to to obtain Certificate 3 and diploma courses, there are several colleges and vocational training institutes that can help you get these certifications and diplomas. Look for one of the finest colleges in Australia that offers nationally recognized training and highly value students academic success, career advancement, and journey toward their chosen paths. These institutes are dedicated to offering the greatest academic and support services to help each student gain greater confidence in their abilities and skills. Their goal is to accomplish this with the aid of our committed instructors and appropriately sized classes.